Something that threw me off guard in Athens was the fact that students my age didn't have part time jobs. I myself have been doing the juggling act between school and work and all the other craziness thrown my way since I was thirteen years old. Working, earning a wage and using it to pay for the things I want, rather than depend on my parents for these things seemed the norm to me. Some of us even pay our way through school, which as we all know, is not a matter of loose change…So working, either during the summer or throughout the school year sometimes even is a necessity here in North America.
But Greek students don't have this problem – university education is free. Also, the campus cafeteria provides healthy daily meals for practically nothing (lunch + dinner = €2). To top all these, Greeks, who are very family oriented people see it as their duty and pleasure to take care of their kids until they are married.
Example:
A friend from Greece: male, 22 years old, finishing off his degree in university. He lives in an apartment, but his parents give him a monetary allowance to pay rent. Week-end visits home ensures the fridge is always full with pies and other homemade goodies. His clothes are bought for him by his mother, and the allowance he gets can more than cover his monthly entertainment and miscellaneous costs.
Perhaps this particular case is not exactly typical, but from what I’ve seen and heard, it comes very close.
So what exactly am I saying? Do I feel annoyed by this easier lifestyle that my friends in Greece have? Yes. Do I think my Greek counterparts are just lazy? Maybe a little. Do I think that growing up in North American is more rewarding or that the lifestyle and system we have here are more correct? No.
I suppose one can be privileged in various ways; and what it boils down to is this - the education system in Europe privileges their students in a way that North American one does not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment